News & views
Frances Crook, Chief Executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform, provides informal comments on the issues of the day.
We have provided a briefing to parliamentarians ahead of the Second Reading of the Prisons and Courts Bill on 20 March 2017.
The press centre helps journalists seeking analysis, expert opinion and other media resources from the Howard League for Penal Reform.
- A prisoner is dying every day as deaths, assaults and self-injury in prisons continue to rise
- Leeds prison inspection: A snapshot of a troubled prison system
- Lewes prison: High levels of violence and not enough purposeful activity
- Bronzefield prison: A good report but underlying concerns
- Wormwood Scrubs prison report lays bare the damaging impact of the government’s Transforming Rehabilitation programme
- Criminal Care: Children’s homes are criminalising children
- Prison incidents of “concerted indiscipline” rise by 207% in three years
- Woodhill prison: Where 11 prisoners have taken their own lives since 2012
- Howard League helps produce European guide on monitoring places where children are deprived of liberty
- Doncaster: A new but failing private prison