Development Support Officer
Job description and person specification
|Job title||Development Support Officer|
|Reporting to||Membership Development Manager|
|Job location||Office is in London; with some home working on agreement|
|Hours||Full time, or part time for the right candidate for one year, with possibility of extension|
Purpose of the post
To contribute to the charity’s core aims of less crime, safer communities and fewer people in prison.
This post will support fundraising at the Howard League by developing our work with trusts and foundations, corporates and individual donors. The role will focus on identifying and researching opportunities to generate income, as well as working with the team on drafting funding applications and building relationships with funders.
This role offers a great opportunity to join a small, busy team and make a real impact on raising funds for an important cause. We are looking for a motivated, proactive individual with strong organisational and communication skills, and a passion for social justice.
We are particularly keen to recruit someone who has personal experience of the criminal justice system and are looking for suitable candidates who have left prison in the past three years.
The post holder’s main tasks are:
- To develop a fundraising pipeline by identifying and researching trusts and foundations supporting in penal reform.
- To work with the team to carry out proposal research, writing applications, writing reports and proof-reading.
- Support in building donor profiles through reviewing, analysing and collating relevant information.
- Develop and maintain our supporter database, ensuring accuracy and consistency across all records.
- Research and highlight developments in the charitable sector that may help maximise income.
- To provide additional support to the fundraising team, including administrative support.
- Other tasks as may be required in support of the Howard League.
The post holder will be able to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and experience:
- Strong research skills, primarily online and using databases.
- Ability to process and present information clearly and accurately.
- Excellent writing skills with a keen eye for detail.
- Excellent organisational skills, including the ability to plan, multitask and prioritise a workload.
- Computer literacy with experience in using a range of office software packages (including Word, Excel and Outlook).
- A good team player, with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships internally and externally.
- Experience of and willingness to work independently and with initiative as well as with others as part of a team.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in a discreet and trustworthy manner.
- A commitment to social justice, human rights and prison reform.
- A university degree or equivalent.
- Experience of using a Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) database and managing data.
- A demonstrated interest in fundraising or marketing.
- An understanding of financial management.
- Experience of administrative procedures such as record-keeping and filing.
Conditions of Service
The post is full time for one year with the possibility of extension.
The terms and conditions are as laid out in the contract of employment and the office handbook and include 30 days paid leave plus statutory days and 10% contribution to the Howard League workplace pension scheme. You may choose to work in the office each day, or to work some days from home on agreement with management.
We are keen to gain the insights of candidates who have personal experience of the criminal justice system, therefore applications are encouraged from suitable candidates who have left prison in the past three years.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
As an inclusive employer the Howard League actively encourages applications from Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds.
How to apply
If for any reason you can’t use the application form, please provide an up-to-date CV and supporting statement, giving evidence and examples of how you meet the criteria, and what you feel you would bring to the role.
If this role does not fit your skill set, please be aware that we expect there to be other opportunities for prison leavers in the coming months.
The deadline for applications for this role is Monday 6th December 2021.
First interviews will be held the week of 12th December 2021.
Second interviews will be held the week of 19th December 2021.
How we will use the information on your job application form
As part of any recruitment process, the Howard League collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The information about how we collect and use the data is specified in the Job Applicant Privacy Notice.