Events · Howard League events
Reducing the criminalisation of looked after children at the police station
Date: 24 Sep 2019
Location: Garden Court Chambers, 57-60 Lincoln's Inn Fields, London WC2A 3LJ
Request a place : Free (donations welcome)
Howard League lawyers’ network and Just for Kids Law’s Youth Justice Legal Centre’s masterclass
Tuesday 24 September 2019, 6–8 pm
Hosted by: Garden Court Chambers 57-60 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London WC2A 3LJ
- Kate Aubrey-Johnson, Barrister and mediator, Garden Court Chambers (Chair)
- Miranda Bevan, London School of Economics
- Laura Cooper, Co-Head of Youth Justice Legal Centre and Policy and Public Affairs Manager
- Dr Laura Janes, Legal Director, Howard League for Penal Reform
- Claire Sands, Youth Justice Researcher
This seminar will include:
- Launch of the Howard Leagues and Youth Justice Legal Centre’s Practitioner Guide on Reducing Criminalisation of Children in Residential Care
- Understanding the issues leading to the overcriminalisation of children in residential care
- The national protocol on reducing criminalisation of looked-after children
- Understanding the rights and entitlements of looked after children
- Representing looked after children at the police station and ensuring their rights are protected
- Challenging decisions to impose formal out of court disposals and decisions to prosecute children who offend in residential care.
Please note: This event is free to attend, however, places are strictly limited.
The venue is located in central London and easily accessible by public transport. The nearest Underground station is Holborn which is 2 minutes’ walk away. Map and full directions to Garden Court Chambers can be found at www.gardencourtchambers.co.uk/contact/
Our lawyers’ network provides a forum for professionals to discuss key legal penal reform issues. The group meets regularly to discuss and debate legal issues arising from our legal and policy work. It is open to members of the legal profession and others who have an interest in penal reform.