Events · Howard League events
Policing the Community Conference and Community Awards 2019
Date: 12 Nov 2019
Location: King's Fund, Cavendish Square, London W1G 0AN
Shortlisted projects : £125
Supported rate (voluntary sector) : £150
Commercial rate (statutory and private sectors) : £195
Policing the community conference and Howard League Community Awards 2019 will be held on Tuesday 12 November 2019
at the King’s Fund, 11–13 Cavendish Square, London W1G 0AN.
The Howard League for Penal Reform remains concerned that too many people are being brought into conflict with the criminal justice system and the problematic implications this has for their future lives. We want to explore how they can be diverted to more appropriate services.
This conference will provide an opportunity for delegates to discuss best practice in policing and diversion from crime and custody. It will explore innovations in policy and practice in relation to policing, sentencing and women; criminalisation of children in residential care; and policing the community.
The conference will also include the Community Awards 2019, recognising projects and organisations whose work and practice is delivered above and beyond normal service delivery, showcasing the most successful community projects across the country which are encouraging desistance from crime. We are delighted to announce that the awards this year will be presented by TV star, Prue Leith.
Speakers and contributors confirmed so far:
- Jon Collins, Chief Executive, The Magistrates Association
- Frances Crook, Chief Executive, Howard League for Penal Reform
- Anne Fox, Chief Executive, Clinks
- Prue Leith, broadcaster, writer and Great British Bake Off judge
- Gerry Marshall, Trustee, Howard League for Penal Reform
- Andrew Neilson, Director of Campaigns, Howard League for Penal Reform
- Lisa Pascoe, Deputy Director, Social Care Policy, Ofsted
- Neil Platt, Clinical Director, Beacon Counselling Trust
- Claire Sands, Youth Justice Researcher
The conference will be followed by the Howard League AGM and public meeting.