Commission on Crime and Problem Gambling
The Commission on Crime and Problem Gambling will investigate patterns of crime linked to problem gambling and the societal harms that link crime and problem gambling, before seeking to make recommendations for government, the gambling industry and within the criminal justice system. The Commission will hold evidence sessions with ministers and senior stakeholders using select committee style meetings.
In December 2019 the Commission heard from Gambleaware and GamCare:
- GambleAware provided oral evidence and submitted a response to the Commission. Read the response here.
- GamCare provided oral evidence and an evidence report, which further outlines the links between crime and gambling, areas where they can provide support, and recommendations for an improved treatment model and a whole systems approach.
In February 2020 the Commission was briefed by the Gambling Commission on the regulatory environment and the National Strategy to Reduce Gambling Harms. The Gambling Commission provided a written summary which can be read here.
The following virtual oral evidence sessions have been confirmed for the Autumn:
- Thursday 24 September 2020 – Lord Chadlington
- Thursday 29 October 2020 – Carolyn Harris MP and Sir Iain Duncan Smith
- Thursday 26 November 2020 – Paul Buck, Chief Executive, EPIC Risk Management and Rebecca Jones, lived experience family member