Legal Education Resources
We create legal education resources informed by our legal casework and our participation work. The resources are designed to provide high quality information to young people and adults supporting them to empower them to understand and use the law effectively.
Children and Sentencing
We worked with young people to develop three resources to ensure better outcomes for children facing sentence in the criminal courts:
- A child friendly leaflet and poster
- A comprehensive guide for adults supporting children
- A mobile App for children, available both on Android devices and iOS.
Young adults and sentencing
There is a growing recognition that young adults in the criminal justice system have distinct needs and characteristics.
Our research report outlines how the courts already use the concept of maturity to achieve more appropriate outcomes for young adults facing sentence in the criminal courts.
Our report on the need for sentencing principles for young adults outlines the developments in this important area.
The latest publication sets out key sentencing principles to help judges and magistrates to achieve better sentences for young adults.
Children’s rights in custody
- Our leaflet, developed in partnership with Barnardo’s and with children in detention, provides information for children on their legal rights in custody.
- Our poster on legal rights in custody.
The Howard League has helped hundreds of children to secure accommodation and support on release from custody and brought many legal cases that have improved the law in this area. This comprehensive legal guide sets out the key legal duties owed to children in custody.